b-hebrew - Re: Etymological Dictionary

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: Joseph Brian Tucker <music AT riverviewcog.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Etymological Dictionary
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:17:59 -0400

At 10:48 PM 8/19/99 +0000, you wrote:
>Greetings
>
>I have a chance to be Ernest Klein's _A Comprehensive Etymological
>Dictionary of the Hebrew Language for Readers of English_. Macmillan,
>1987.

A chance to BE!!! WOW!!! If I had the chance to be a book I think I would
be Friedrich Schleiermacher's "The Christian Faith". ;-)

Just kidding.

>This is a used copy, what would be a fair price for this book? Is it a book
>worth adding to my collection or is there something else similar that is
>better?

How much do they want for it? Beware of etymological dictionaries- they can
be a bit misleading simply because the root meaning of a word is not
necessarily the way a word is used in a text. Meaning is assigned by
context, not etymology.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD