b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol around the world?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol around the world?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:57:12 -0700

> been consulting with typlogist gurus about the presence of
> consecutives around the world. interesting gap where languages have
> verb forms where the stem can be a well-formed word, especially
> isolating languages like Mandarin, etc. now here's the interesting
> suggestion: such languages are using zero-forms for consecutives,
> consistent with the modal patterning, etc. if such an analysis could
> be justified, consecutives would be found all over the place.

My only question is still, do native speakers describe these forms
as consecutives, i.e. a major non-cancellable (to use Rolf's term)
feature of the form is consecution, or are these just forms that are
used for narrative? And assuming they are true consecutives, what
kinds of forms are used to begin the sequences that they appear
in?

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

  • wayyiqtol around the world?, Vincent DeCaen, 08/06/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: wayyiqtol around the world?, Dave Washburn, 08/06/1999