b-hebrew - Re: mitaslem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: mitaslem
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:33:10 +0800

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Wondell wrote:

> So from what I gather here, the prefix 'Mit'(Mem Tav) means 'one who
has
> converted' and the suffix could be the religion or philosophy. Am I
right?
> It sounds a lot like Arabic, where the prefix 'MU'(Meem) indicates
"One
> who is" and the suffix ending describes a quality or characteristic to
> which the individual personifies.

Hey, Wondell,

I'm not sure about Arabic, but I believe research into the Hebrew in
this case would reveal that the MEM is the mark of a participle in this
case. And, as I'm sure you realize (as a declared Hebrew PhD wanna-be),
a participle may act as a noun (like you are taking it), or it may act
as an adjective or verb, depending on the situation.

Paul
----
On July 14:
1789 Bastille Day-French Revolution begins with the fall of Bastille
1865 1st ascent of Matterhorn
1911 46" of rain begins to fall in Baguio, Philippines

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines

zellmer AT digitelone.com