b-hebrew - Re: Pausal Forms

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pausal Forms
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:32:28 -0400

Interesting question. But I also suspect a misunderstanding. Am I not
right in saying that the pausal forms affect the vocalisation only?
And so Baruch would not have made any distinction when writing these
down. The pausal forms were surely written down by the Masoretes based
on the pronunciation (including the positions in the text of pauses)
in use in their time. Presumably the presence of a pausal form at a
particular point is no stronger evidence than a cantillation mark for
a major division that there should actually be a logical break at that
point. On the other hand, is there any evidence for pausal forms in
pre-Masoretic texts e.g. Origen's transliteration in the Hexapla?

I would feel sure, from my understanding of languages in general, that
pausal forms are essentially a feature of spoken language which later
came to be written down. I don't think they can be accounted for from
the written language only. The whole thing could be linked to the
chanting used in the synagogue which was heard by the Masoretes. But
it could equally have arisen in regular spoken language. Most
languages, including English, have variations in intonation and
sometimes stress and voicing before a pause. These variations can
easily, over a long period, become changes in vowel quality and
length, causing for example an E vowel to change to an A vowel before
a pause. Normal speakers would not even be aware of these changes.
Compare the way English vowels which are normally reduced become
pronounced in full when the particular word is stressed, even with
"the" and "a". The Masoretes simply listened carefully and wrote down
the vowels which they heard.

Peter Kirk