b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 4:24-26

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 4:24-26
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:51:47 -0400

Dear Robert,

You wrote:
<large text, noted and snipped>

> *The most widely accepted motive in the normative
tradition is that
> Moses failed to keep the commandment to circumcise his
son, Gen.17:12-14

In support of the above "normative tradition" I offer the
executions of the man who gathered wood on the sabbath (Num
15) and Achan (Jos 17), and the deaths of Ananias and
Sapphira (Acts 5). The tradition is one of the Lord's
insisting upon a good start with the direst of consequences
for taking His commandment or His work lightly, particularly
at such early, formative stages of His work. Moses, being
YHVH's chosen deliverer, would not be excused as such for
not honoring YHVH with his son's circumcision. On the
contrary, he would be held all the more accountable for his
breach seeing that he was to be the law-giver. I suggest
viewing Moses' challenge as parallel with Adam's: shall he
take lightly the call and command of YHVH to follow his
wife?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor
Living Word Church
6101 Court St. Rd.
Syracuse, NY 13206

(office) 315.437.6744
(home) 315.479.8267

  • Re: Exodus 4:24-26, Bryan Rocine, 07/02/1999