b-hebrew - Re: Eli Eli Lama Azavtany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT Highland.Net>
  • To: yahua'sef <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Eli Eli Lama Azavtany or Eli Eli Lama Sabachthani?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:17:32 -0400

At 11:53 AM 6/19/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Well, according to what I've learned over studying Mandaen culture(who
>still speak Aramaic today), you are wrong. Most of their texts use the
>word 'Alaha.'

I dont know about the mandeans- but I do know that they are not the only
folk who speak aramaic today. Syrian Christians do to some extent as do
others. Syriac texts always use elohey and not alaha or whatever.

>Here is one web page I found which says the same:
>http://www.aramaic.org/meditate.html

Dont know about this site either. Dont know who is the originator or what
their background or training is. So I really cant say anything about their
ideas.

>So who is right?

I guess you will have to decide- Kohler and Baumgartner or a web site.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
email- jwest AT highland.net