b-hebrew - Re: Secret Codes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Secret Codes
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 00:01:56 -0500

Moshe Shulman wrote:

> At 12:07 AM 6/14/99 -0400, yahua'sef wrote:
> >Shalom Alaikhim
> >I would like to know what do list members think about the so-called Secret
> >Codes in the Hebrew text of the Bible. Is there any validity to these
> >claims that certain letters match up in numerical patterns to spell out
> >prophecies, names of events, and the name of the Jewish Messiah?
>
> No much.

"Bible Codes" are getting a lot of press lately, hence the question is
a valid one and deserves more of a response. Aside from scribal
mnemonic devices, alliteration, alphabetical versing and acrostics,
all of which are interesting, one can take a copy of the Iliad and
come up with the same patterns of "Bible Codes" that predict the
brand of toothpaste Hitler used.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net