b-hebrew - Re[6]: die Flucht ins Prasens, Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re[6]: die Flucht ins Prasens, Peter
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 00:31:56 -0400

Dear Bryan,

Thank you for your time spent on this. I am afraid I am still not
convinced, but don't have time to argue this point (or Rolf's latest
one) any further at present.

Just one more question. You wrote:

Historical Narrative:
mainline: wayyiqtol ("verbal" syntax, fientive verb)
off-the-line: X-qatal ("stative" syntax, attributive verb)

Instructional Discourse:
mainline: weqatal ("verbal" syntax, attributive verb)
off-the-line: X-yiqtol ("stative" syntax, fientive verb)

Do you think you would have found this labelling "fientive" and
"attributive" if you had disregarded the similarities in form between
yiqtol and wayyiqtol, and between qatal and weqatal?

Peter Kirk