b-hebrew - RE: b-hebrew digest: May 13, 1999

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: b-hebrew digest: May 13, 1999
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:39:07 -0700

Gday Mark,

I studied 2d year Hebrew with Waltke and he himself prefers not to use how
own book, since it is farily heavy going. He particularly commented on the
sections on the verb which he wishes were better written. He now uses ben
Zvi, Hancock, and ??? "Readings in Biblical Hebrew" although neither he nor
the students were overly enthused by this book. It is good in some respects,
but weak in others. Waltke supplemented this with summaries of his own book
plus readings from his book. I have the van der Merwe grammar, and it may be
better text around which to build a course.

With regards,
MAtthew Anstey