b-hebrew - Re: Volitive weyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Douglas L Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>, Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Volitive weyiqtol
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 11:11:25 -0400

Dear Doug,
Yes, I searched the whole shebang.
The lack of 2d person weyiqtols leads me to believe that they *cannot* be the
only 2d
person form of volitive besides the imperative. Initial yiqtol, x-yiqtol
and weqatal
are "instructional" and "injunctive" and "obligatory," which, in my mind,
mean that
they indicate the will of the speaker (thus, volitive).