b-hebrew - Re: Volitive weyiqtol

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Douglas L Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: lmartin AT vol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Volitive weyiqtol
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:13:26 -0600

Lee,

Regarding your post below, what did you search. Forgive my ignorance for
not knowing the imperative counts of Tanakh; not knowing such, I'm not
sure what your corpus is. Could you kindly clarify? I'm guessing you
searched the whole shebang--true?

Peace,
Doug

On Wed, 05 May 1999 21:56:04 -0400 "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
writes:
> Help!
> These numbers do not make sense.
> In looking at Alviero Niccacci's outline of volitives vs.
> non-volitives,
> he listed weyiqtol as the volitive continuation of cohortative,
> imperative, and jussive. I did a computer search, and the results
> are
> interesting. Can someone confirm them.
> Imperatives = 4288
> weqatals = 1129
> weyiqtol (2d person) = 69
>
> I could not find a single volitive weyiqtol that continued an
> imperative. There were 2 or three that showed result (Ps.144:5,6).
> However, there are hundreds of imperatives followed by imperatives.
> Conclusion: The imperative is continued by the imperative.
>

> --
>
> Lee R. Martin
> Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
> Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
> Church of God Theological Seminary
> http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: doug.kasten AT juno.com
> To unsubscribe, forward this message to
> $subst('Email.Unsub')

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]