b-hebrew - Re: IAOUE = YHWH / IAW = YH?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: IAOUE = YHWH / IAW = YH?
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 12:34:10 -0400

I think if you examine other names loaned from Hebrew into Greek you
will find that initial Y is always rendered as I (e.g. IWANNHS,
IHSOUS). And then Greek did not have an h sound and so Hebrew H was
always omitted. Anyway, the final H in YHWH is probably silent (a
mater) in Hebrew. Similarly, Greek did not have a letter with the w
sound and so, as in the evidence I quoted before, the syllable initial
w sound was represented by OU. This is the regular transliteration
rule, as I proved. So we apparently have a Greek pronunciation YA-WE
which was written, according to Greek rules, IA-OUE. Now I accept that
a Hebrew YAHOWE might have become IA-O-UE, though I suspect IA-W-UE (W
for omega) would be more likely as in the LXX fragments Greg quotes. I
am not sure what a Hebrew YAHUWE would have become in Greek, possibly
IAOUE or else IAUE. (Compare LXX QEKOUE, Origen KWA for Hebrew QOWEH
?? - but the Hebrew here is very uncertain.) Thus the most we can say
is that Clement's Greek version leaves the question open, with YAHWE
still the most likely.

Peter Kirk