b-hebrew - SV: An Invitiation for Professors Thompson and Lemche

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'dano AT ott.net'" <dano AT ott.net>, "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: An Invitiation for Professors Thompson and Lemche
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 11:34:40 +0200

Dear Dr. Barre,
I apologize for my belated response. We have had guests at the
institute. I am much puzzled over your "invitation" and "solicitation" for
comments about a passage which you also describe as "say(ing) it all". My
first question is what do you think it says? and then, what on earth do you
want me to comment on? Hebrew grammar? the author's grandfather? -- the
genre of pseudepigraphy? If I push myself to list "all" the things your
invitation doesn't say, I perhaps might orient myself to this text which you
think "says it all".
As you allow my every impression free range in so open a
solicitation, I interpret your invitation in the light of another discussion
line you have been running on both b-hebrew and ane; namely "Against
minimalism", by which you apparently mean to present arguments against such
as the likes of me and my colleague Niels Peter. Your use of the term
"minimalism" seems to suggest that you know of our work from third party
discussions rather than from anything we have said or written. This guess is
strengthened by your failure to cite specific bibliography and by the
peculiar issues you attribute to us, and then in their straw form knock down
as so many bowling pins.
Your asserted "4 main arguments."
(Thompson and Lemche use)
1) "a flawed method based upon the notion of 'dichotomous data'"
2) " impossible post-exilic origins of the HB"
3) "single genre (fictive); single author or restricted group"
4) arrogant self-definition and self-preservation as our ideology.

1 and 4, I hardly understand; 2 and 3, I do not hold. I suggest you
find out a little more about what your polemic is about. If you wish to
attack someone as you have attacked me, start with what I have in fact
argued. Then I will respond. And please, try to be more polite.
Thomas