b-hebrew - Re: ANE Inscriptions and the Book of Kings

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ANE Inscriptions and the Book of Kings
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:26:34 -0400

If the seventh century is a late date for the composition of Kings,
what is an earlier date? Prophetic books may be datable to before the
events which they describe, but I don't think even the most extreme
fundamentalists claim that for the historical books!

And a methodological point: if account A differs from account B (and
there is no external evidence), how can we tell which of the two
accounts is reliable? If you want to prove that contemporaneity is not
a guarantee of reliability, just read your morning newspaper, and
compare it with whatever they are publishing in Belgrade or Baghdad.

Peter Kirk