b-hebrew - Re: More on wayyiqtol-resent

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: More on wayyiqtol-resent
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 00:13:30 -0400

Dear Rodney,

Since you invite my comments, here goes...

I found your idea that wayyiqtol is a kind of "historic present"
rather interesting. If Galia Hatav is right that the "historic
present" found in modern languages and also in biblical Greek is not
well understood, I find it hard to understand the basis for her
objection to this idea; first clarify the obscure before using it to
cast light elsewhere. However, as Randall Buth pointed out, it is hard
to explain weqatal on this model.

On the other hand, Randall's comment "'present' is not the way hebrew
storytelling is done... BH tells Hebrew stories in the past" simply
begs the question: in so far as BH tells Hebrew stories with
wayyiqtol, this statement is true if wayyiqtol is a past tense, but
false if it is a present tense!

One of the objections often raised to the "traditional" model of
Hebrew verbs is that the idea of waw "converting" perfect(ive) into
imperfect(ive) and vice versa is so illogical that it cannot possibly
be true. Well, languages can be very illogical! But your idea has
suggested to me a mechanism for how this may have arisen. My (probably
unfalsifiable!) hypothesis: In early (pre-Biblical) Hebrew stories
were often told in a type of historic present as you describe, with
sentences linked by waw, the ancestor of the BH wayyiqtol form. Within
such narratives "flashbacks" would have been indicated by a past tense
form, qatal. Gradually the interaction between these verb forms within
a discourse, a story or narrative, became fossilised into the
narrative structure which we find in BH. Wayyiqtol came to be thought
of (by the time when most BH was written) no longer as historic
present but as a second past tense used (almost) only in narrative. At
this point in time, when waw started to look like a converting prefix,
weqatal was formed by analogy. Rather later (beginning by Ezekiel's
time) the whole scheme broke down, for it had lost its logical basis
and so had become unstable.

Comments?

Peter Kirk