b-hebrew - Re: two narrative forms in Eze 37:1-14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Bryan Rocine <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: two narrative forms in Eze 37:1-14
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 22:14:36 -0400

Lee R. Martin wrote:

> Bryan Rocine wrote:
>
> > B-Haverim,
> >
> > A couple questions about Eze 37:1-14. There are probably too many
> >
> > (clipped) Can I sneak in a couple more questions?
>
> > I notice that the weqatals in the narrator's text in this passage have
> > the stress on the second to the last syllable whereas the weqatals in
> > the charater's text (or direct speech passages) on the last syllable
> > (cf. v. 6's "character's text" venataTI and v. 7's "narrator's text"
> > niBE'ti ) Should we take this as a confirmation that we have two
> > verbally distinct weqatals here, one in the narrator's text and one in
> > the character's text?
>
> In regard to this question only, I would suggest that you compare the
> accent only on
> the same verb. I looked at vhyyti "I shall be," and I could see no
> distinction
> between those which were accented milra' and those accented mil'el. Has
> anyone
> undertaken such a study of the accents?

Good advice, but we don't always have the hits we would like to have in a
fairly narrow
corpus like "Late BH" or even narrower like Eze. For instance, in Eze all
four of the
1cs and 2ms weqatal forms of hyh are in direct speech, are predictive, and
are mil`el or
penultimate stress. I *can* point to Eze 4:7, a direct speech, predictive
text, which
has (ultimate) venibe'TA as compared to 37:7's narrator's text (penultimate)
veniBE'ti.
On the counter-side, I went rummaging around for 1cs weqatal of the root ntn
and found a
gem: Eze 30:12-16. Four hits, all direct speech, all predictive. I can't
see how any
of them are any more or less consecutive or consequential or anything else.
The punch
line? Two are stressed on the ultima and two on the penultima. Should I just
forget
about the possibility that stress may correlate with verbal semantics? :^\

Shalom,
Bryan

begin:          vcard
fn:             B.M. Rocine
n:              Rocine;B.M.
org:            Living Word Church
adr;dom:        6101 Court St. Rd.;;;Syracuse;NY;13206;
email;internet: brocine AT earthlink.net
title:          pastor
tel;work:       315.437.6744
tel;home:       315.479.8267
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0