b-hebrew - Re: two narrative forms in Eze 37:1-14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: two narrative forms in Eze 37:1-14
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 12:14:33 -0400

Bryan Rocine wrote:

> B-Haverim,
>
> A couple questions about Eze 37:1-14. There are probably too many
>
> (clipped) Can I sneak in a couple more questions?

> I notice that the weqatals in the narrator's text in this passage have
> the stress on the second to the last syllable whereas the weqatals in
> the charater's text (or direct speech passages) on the last syllable
> (cf. v. 6's "character's text" venataTI and v. 7's "narrator's text"
> niBE'ti ) Should we take this as a confirmation that we have two
> verbally distinct weqatals here, one in the narrator's text and one in
> the character's text?

In regard to this question only, I would suggest that you compare the accent
only on
the same verb. I looked at vhyyti "I shall be," and I could see no
distinction
between those which were accented milra' and those accented mil'el. Has
anyone
undertaken such a study of the accents?
--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee