b-hebrew - Re[2]: Hebrew Lexica

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Hebrew Lexica
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 00:59:28 -0500

Don't forget Benjamin Davidson "The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee
Lexicon", Bagster, 2nd edition 1850 (sic!), republished by
Hendrickson, 1981. This gives a grammatical parse of every word form
in the Hebrew Bible, arranged in alphabetical order. There is also a
two volume grammatical analysis of all verb forms only, arranged in
canonical order. Looking for the details, I found the following in a
document by Murray Salisbury of SIL web-published (.pdf file) at
InTheBeginning.org (which I downloaded and saved last year). If you
can't find this on the web site, I can E-mail the file on request.

But I rarely use these parsing guides but rather use the electronic
parsing based in my computer-based package, based on the Westminster
database. That's a much quicker way to cheat at Hebrew!

Peter Kirk

(extracts from Murray Salisbury's document follow)

2. PARSING GUIDES

In the past, I have neither used nor advocated the use of parsing
guides and analytical lexicons. However, since this list has been
compiled with independent learners primarily in mind, the following
tools may be useful as temporary aids. If you are a beginner, then you
will want to read Hebrew as much as you can. (The best way to learn to
read is to read and read and read!) The following books will help you
to get into reading the Hebrew Bible without having to look everything
up. The more you read, the less you will need them later on. Start
with Ruth, Joshua, Judges (skipping chapter 5), Genesis, Samuel and
Kings. Read one Psalm and one or two Proverbs several times over each
week.

Beginner:

Beall, Todd S. and William A. Banks and Colin Smith, eds. Old
Testament Parsing Guide. Vol. I: Genesis to Esther. 1986. Pp. ix+390.
Vol. II: Job to Malachi. 1990. Pp. xii+299. (Chicago: Moody Press)

Provides verse by verse parsing in biblical order for all the verbs in
the OT. Keyed to BDB.

Davidson, Benjamin, ed. The Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon. 2nd
ed. 1850. (Repr. 1981) Pp. 784. (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Pubs.)

Lists every grammatical form of the OT in alphabetical order, parsing
it and giving the root and a gloss. Cannot be relied upon for accuracy
in the more difficult cases.

Owens, John Joseph. Analytical Key to the Old Testament. 1990-93. 4
vols. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House. ($219, or $60 per volume)

A verse by verse grammatical analysis of the words and phrases of the
Hebrew Bible (BHS text) in the word order of the text, translated into
English, and keyed to the Brown, Driver, and Briggs Hebrew and English
Lexicon of the Old Testament. For insoluble text-critical problems a
variant reading may be provided; also references to Gesenius/Kautzsch
Hebrew Grammar as needed.

3. LEXICONS

Beginner:

Brown, Francis, Samuel R. Driver, and Charles A. Briggs, eds. The New
Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon. 1907. (repr. with additions
below). Pp. 1127. (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Pubs.)

The New BDB -- unfortunately, it does not have the 1952 corrections, but it
adds (1) coding to Strong's Concordance; (2) a 58p. index by M. A. Robinson
reducing the difficulty that arises from BDB's primary arrangement by roots
(and saving the need to get Einspahr, below).

**Holladay, William L., ed. A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old
Testament. 1971. Pp. 425. (Leiden: E.J. Brill; Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans.
($35)

Useful for quick reference and for beginners. It is an abridged English
translation of the 3rd ed. of KBL (Koehler/Baumgartner's lexicon in German)
as far as the letter samekh and of the 2nd ed. for the remainder. It leaves
out cognate language etymologies, bibliographic references, conjectural
emendations, and most of the Scripture citations found in KBL.

Einspahr, Bruce, ed. Index to the Brown, Driver, and Briggs Hebrew Lexicon.
Rev. ed. 1977. Pp. 456. Chicago: Moody Press. ($37)

Arranged verse by verse in the biblical order with page and section
references to BDB, making the information in the lexicon quickly accessible
to users who have a minimal knowledge of Hebrew.

Advanced:

*Brown, Francis, S. R. Driver, and C. A. Briggs, eds. A Hebrew and English
Lexicon of the Old Testament with an Appendix containing the Biblical
Aramaic. Corrected ed. 1952. Pp. 1126. Oxford & New York: Oxford Univ.
Press. ($35)

Abbreviated as BDB. This is the standard Hebrew lexicon; though dated,
still arguably the best. Arranged by roots rather than alphabetically, so
beginners will find Einspahr's companion Index (above) helpful -- or try
the New BDB: