b-hebrew - Re: Hebrew Lexica

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT utc.campuscw.net>
  • To: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie AT sagus.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Hebrew Lexica
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 11:40:37 -0500

Jonathan:

A short list of lexica and word studies. Armstrong is like Kubo for the
Greek. BDB would be closest to BAGD although not as upt ot date.Koehler and
Baumgardentr is like BAGD. Clines is like Liddell and Scott, Gensenius is
likeThayer, holliday is an abridgment of Koehler and Baumgardner, botterweck
is a lot like TDNT, DOTTE is somewhat comparable to colin Brown's Dictionary
of New Testament theology, Jenni's comparable to Spicq.

Hope this helps

Kevin

HEBREW LEXICONS
Armstrong, Terry A., Douglas L. Busby, and Cyril F. Carr. A Reader's
Hebrew-English Lexicon of the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1988.
[Ref PJ 4833 .A69]

Avinoam, Reuben. Compendious Hebrew-English Dictionary. Rev. and ed. by M.
H. Segal. Tel Aviv: Dvir Publishing Co., 1938.
[Not available in the library]

Barr, James, ed. The Oxford Hebrew Dictionary. London: Oxford University
Press, in preparation.
[Not available in the library]

Brown, Francis, Samuel Rolles Driver, and Charles A. Briggs. The New
Brown-Driver Briggs Hebrew English Lexicon of the Old Testament. Peabody,
Massachusetts: Hendrickson, 1970.
[Not available in the library]

_____. A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament. Oxford: Clarendon
Press, 1907.
[Ref PJ 4833 .G4 1972]

Browne, Henry. Triglot Dictionary of Scriptural Reprentative Words in
Hebrew, Greek and English. London: Samuel Bagster and Sons, 1901.
[Ref PJ 4833 .B7]

Clines, David J. A.. ed. The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew. 5 vols.
Sheffield, 199.
[Not available in the library]

Danby, H. A Concise English-Hebrew Dictionary. Tel Aviv: Dvir Publishing,
1955.
[Ref PJ 4833 .D3 1955]

Fohrer, Georg, ed. Hebrew and Aramaic Dictionary of the Old Testament. New
York: Walter de Gruyter, 1973.
[Ref PJ 4833 .F613]

Gesenius, Friedrich Heinrich Wilhelm. Gesenius' Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon
to the Old Testament Scriptures. Translated by Samuel Prideaux Tregelles.
Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1954.
[Ref PJ 4833 .G47]

Harkavy, Alexander. Students' Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary of the Old
Testament. New York: Hebrew Publishing Co., 1914.
[Not available in the library]

Hebrew-English Lexicon. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1975.
[PJ 4833 .H42 1970]

Hebrew-English Lexicon. New York: Harper and Brothers, n.d.
[Not available in the library]

Holladay, William L. A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old
Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1971.
[Ref PJ 4833 .H6]

Jastrow, Marcus. A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and
Yerushalim, and the Midrashic Literature. 2 vols. Brooklyn, New York: P.
Shalom Publishers, 1967.
[Ref PJ 5205 .J37 1967]

Köehler, Ludwig, Walter Baumgartner, and Johann J. Stamm. The Hebrew and
Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament: The New Koehler and Baumgartner in
English. Translated by M. E. Richardson. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1993-.
[Not available in the library]

_____., and Walter Baumgartner. Lexicon in Veteris Testamenti Libros. 2
vols. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1953.
[Ref PJ 4833 .K 62]

Klein, Ernest. A Comprehensive Etymological Dictionary of the Hebrew
Language for Readers of English. New York: Macmillan, 1987
[Ref PJ 4833 .K54 1987]

Landes, George M. A Student's Vocabulary of Biblical Hebrew. New York:
Charles Scribner's Sons, 1961.
[Not available in the library]

Mitchel, Larry A. A Student's Vocabulary for Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic.
Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1984.
[PJ 4845 .M5 1984]

Watts, John D. W. Lists of Words Occurring Frequently in the Hebrew Bible.
Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1968.
[Ref PJ 4845 .W3 1960]

WORD STUDIES
Berry, Harold J. Treasures from the Original. Chicago: Moody Press, 1986.
[PA 875 .B47 1985]

Botterweck, G. Johannes, and Helmer Ringgren. Theological Dictionary of the
Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1974-.
[Ref BS 440 .B5713]

Girdlestone, Robert Baker. Synonyms of the Old Testament. 3rd ed. Grand
Rapids: Baker, 1983.
[BS 1171 .G5 1983]

Harris, R. Laird, Gleason L. Archer Jr., and Bruce K. Waltke. Theological
Wordbook of the Old Testament. 2 vols. Chicago: Moody Press, 1980.
[Ref BS 440 .T49]

Jenni, Ernst, and Claus Westermann. Theological Lexicon of the Old
Testament. Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers,
1997.
[Not available in the library]

Kohlenberger, John R. Words about the Word. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1987.

[BS 132 .K64 1987]

Pick, Aaron. Dictionary of Old Testament Words for English Readers. Grand
Rapids: Kregel, 1977.
[Ref BS 1125 .P53 1979]

Richards, Lawrence O. Zondervan's Expository Dictionary of Bible Words.
Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1985.
[Ref BS 440 .R525 1985]

Unger, Merrill F., and William White Jr. Nelson's Expository Dictionary of
the Old Testament. Nashville, Tennessee, 1980.
[Ref BS 440 .N345]

VanGemeren, Willem A., ed. The New International Dictionary of Old Testament
Theology. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997.
[Ref BS 440 .N438 1997]

Vine, William E., Merrill F. Unger, and William White Jr. Vine's Expository
Dictionary of Biblical Words. Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, 1992.
[Not available in the library]

Vine, William E. An Expository Dictionary of Old Testament Words. Ed. by
F. F. Bruce. Old Tappan, NewJersey: Revell, 1978.
[Ref BS 440 .V75 1978]

Wilson, William. New Wilson's Old Testament Word Studies. Grand Rapids:
Kregel, 1987.
[Not available in the library]

_____. Wilson's Old Testament Word Studies. Grand Rapids: Kregel, 1978.
[Ref BS 1125 .W52 1978]

White, William. Theological and Grammatical Phrasebook of the Bible.
Chicago: Moody Press, 1984.
[Ref BS 525 .W55 1984]

At 11:16 AM 4/3/99 -0500, you wrote:
>OK, folks, I may be list owner, but that involves running the software, it
>does not involve knowing anything about Hebrew...
>
>I know the Greek lexica, but I really don't know the Hebrew lexica. What
>are the major Hebrew lexica, dictionaries, theological dictionaries, etc.,
>and how is one different from another? Is BDB more or less equivalent to
>BAGD? Is TDOT more or less equivalent to TDNT? Is there something more or
>less equivalent to Louw&Nida? Are there other major resources I should be
>aware of? When do you use which tool?
>
>Jonathan
>--
>Jonathan Robie
>R&D Fellow, Software AG
>jonathan.robie AT sagus.com
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: cierpke AT utc.campuscw.net
$subst('Email.Unsub')
>To subscribe, send an email to join-b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu.

Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT utc.campuscw.net (preferred)
kwoodruf AT utkux.utcc.utk.edu (alternate)