b-hebrew - Re: The call for concordant translations (was Chapter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The call for concordant translations (was Chapter)
  • Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 18:27:08 +0800

Rolf Furuli wrote:

> I am much more concerned with the theological coloring of modern idiomatic
> Bible translations and the unfortunate influence this has on the readers,
> than with defending literal translations. In fact, I have not defended
> literal translations at all, only shown that they have a right to live, and
> that they serve the needs of a particular target group better than
> idiomatic translations. However, while I accept your word that there are
> great problems with a literal translation in the language you work, there
> are substantially less problems in English.

I guess that I am not as quick as you seem to be to class a translation as
idiomatic,
or to limit theological coloring to that class of translations. I recall my
beginning
Greek professor bemoaning the *lack of* translation by the translators of the
KJV.
The case in point (off topic for this list, but applicable in philosophy being
discussed) was the Greek word BAPTIZW. He, being a Baptist, would have much
rather
seen the clear translation "dip" or "immerse". He theorized that the
translators made
a choice to transliterate rather than translate this word because their
religious
background does not limit the mode of baptism. Thus the lack of translation
can be
theological coloring. (For myself, as a good conservative Methodist, I don't
have any
problems leaving the mode more open, but that is *WAY* off-topic!)

I realize that this example could serve as an illustration in support of the
concordant translation, except we find that, even among those who search and
examine
the texts for this word, there is a distinct lack of concord as to whether
this word
does in fact limit the mode or not.

> I understand that you have never read the literal translation I have
> discussed; if you had, you would never have cited the mentioned reviewer.

I have read from it, as I have read from translated excerpts of the Koran and
portions
of the Book of Mormon and the Pearl of Great Price and other texts put out or
held
dear by groups other than that to which I adhere. But I have never made an
in-depth
study of the translation, so I cited a reviewer who claimed to have. Since,
in my
work, I try to avoid referring to translations of any ilk until I have made a
valiant
effort to understand the text in the original language, and since, in my
devotional
and group studies, I use more accepted translations, I must confess that this
translation (and several others) are gathering dust on my shelves. Yet I
understand
the concept that you are promoting, since it is indeed an early step in the
translation work that our project does.

Happy Easter, friend.

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project