b-hebrew - Re: Ruth 1:9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Ruth 1:9
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 12:42:23 -0500

A follow-up to my previous reply on this one: The explanation could be
purely phonological. Now actually your quote below is incorrect
(compared with printed BHS) because you have omitted the dagesh in
B."YT, which is unusual I think after a word ending in a vowel sound,
)I$.FH , where there is no disjunctive accent; so we can take this as
dagesh forte rather than dagesh lene. I would suggest that this B."YT
is actually a contraction of B:B"YT , the first B deliberately without
dagesh as after a vowel sound; then (by a phonological rule) the
voiced shwa becomes silent and we are left with two identical
consonants which (by a regular though not invariant rule) merge
together with a dagesh forte. Of course this case could simply be a
slightly irregular "dagesh forte conjunctivum" as described by GKC
20c. Is my alternative feasible? I'm not yet sure. It doesn't work for
the other examples quoted in GKC 118g, but maybe GKC avoided listing
the Ruth example because of this alternative.

Peter Kirk