b-hebrew - WeHFYUW in Ruth 1:11

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: WeHFYUW in Ruth 1:11
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 00:58:36 +0800

One last question from today's meeting with the students drafting
a translation of Ruth:

We looked up in W&O the section which discusses the weqatalti
after nominal clauses (32.2.4), which treats the WeHFYUW in Ruth
1:11 as introducing a consequent situation. However, we played
with some other ways that the concept here could have been
expressed and possible differences in translations. How would
you compare and contrast the form found here (weqatalti) with the
following possibilities: 1) a "normal" relative clause
introduced by KIY, and 2) a completely separate question,
introduced by a second heh-interrogative? Am I off-base to see
this use of the weqatalti as falling somewhere in between the
relative clause and the completely separate question?

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph