b-hebrew - Re[2]: The conjunction "and" and sequence.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: The conjunction "and" and sequence.
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:12:18 -0500

I agree that the waw of wayyiqtol is not just the waw conjunction. But
I would argue that it includes the waw conjunction. Firstly, wayyiqtol
is always clause initial and so occupies a place where one would
usually (not always, I accept) find a waw conjunction. But there is
never a waw conjunction attached to wayyiqtol. And then Hebrew words
and forms beginning with a waw which is not the conjunction are
extremely rare, almost vanishingly so if one excludes textually
doubtful passages and Persian names (I think only the word WFW is
clear, and this word for a conjoining device may be derived from the
conjunction, or from the shape of the letter waw); from this I
conclude the high probability that in an otherwise uncertain form
beginning with the letter waw that letter represents the conjunction.

Thus I would prefer an parsing of wayyiqtol as
conjunction+something+yiqtol. On the other hand, it became impossible
to split off the conjunction even where it was not necessary, and that
is why we get wayyiqtol rather than *ayyiqtol at the start of
narratives e.g. Jonah 1:1.

Peter Kirk