b-hebrew - Re: The conjunction "and" and sequence.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The conjunction "and" and sequence.
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:28:01 +0200

Peter Kirk wrote:

>1. I don't accept your proviso so I cannot your question.
>2. Aramaic is a different language which may work quite differently.
>
>Peter Kirk

>_________________________________
>Subject: The conjunction "and" and sequence.
>Author: furuli AT online.no at internet
>Date: 11/03/1999 14:25
>
><snip> Provided that the element "wayy" in wayyiqtol can be explained on
>phonological grounds, why must this (wa(yy) be more than a simple
>conjunction, which moves the narrative forward, just as is the case of
>Aramaic?
>

>Regards
>Rolf

Dear Peter.

The Hebrew style is terse, no question about that. Even though Aramaic is a
different language, it illustrates how a simple conjunction can move the
story forward. Drop the provosio and tell me: Would the simple Hebrew
conjunction w be able to move the story forward if it was attached to
yiqtols just as do wayyiqtols. To state it differently: Is there any
function of the wayyiqtol which is not compatible with the view that the
construction simply is w+yiqtol?

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli