b-hebrew - Deut 6:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Deut 6:2
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 06:00:07 EST

I read Deut 6:2 as saying:

for the sake of fearing the Lord your God, and keeping all His statutes,
and His commands, which I command you, you, and your son, and the son of
your son, all the days of your life ...

Now, we've dealt with the question of alternation between 2nd person
plural and 2nd person singular before. My question is NOT about that. My
question is about the singularity of the word "son" - why didn't Moses
say "I command you, and your sons, and the sons of your sons"? Even if
"you" is singular, one would hope, especially in those days, to have more
than one son.

- Andy Smith

"... if Bach is the sound of God thinking, then perhaps Gershwin is, at
least, the sound of St. Anthony of Padua whistling as he works ..." -
Michael Bywater

.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

  • Deut 6:2, Andrew C Smith, 03/16/1999