b-hebrew - Re: Tilburg Paper (To Alviero)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Moon-Ryul Jung" <moon AT computing.soongsil.ac.kr>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Tilburg Paper (To Alviero)
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 7:18:2

Dear Alviero:

Great! The Hebrew verbforms are beginning to make sense.
Let me ask some clarifying questions to your answers>

You wrote:
>at the beginning of a
> direct-speech narrative qatal and x-qatal are both mainline, and
> therefore basically interchangeable, since both are attested as
> direct-speech counterpart of narrative wayyiqtol.

1) Are there "offline constructions" in direct speech, which correspond to
"offline constructions" in narrative?

2) Are there no differences between x+qatal (without the initial "we" like
in Gen 1:1) and we+x+qatal,
and between x+yiqtol (without the initial "we") and we+x+yiqtol?

3) It is quite interesting that both "we+x+qatal" and "we+x+yiqtol" are
off-line constructions, but with different meanining; the former
referring to the background state and the latter referring to the
frequentive, habitual background. Great!

Sincerely

Moon

Moon-Ryul Jung
Asssistant Professor