b-hebrew - BHS apparatus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Camille Bessette" <carmel.de.lisieux AT wanadoo.fr>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: BHS apparatus
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:12:45 +0100

Bruce Compton wrote:
<I have a question regarding the explanation of the apparatus in BHS. On
<page L in the editio minor, the editors explain the use of the parenthesis
<by the Latin phrase "secundum rem."

The parenthesis have 4 meanings:
-abbreviated presentation of differing forms / Isaiah 1:27
-citation of the edition quoted / 1S 21:9
-versio secundum rem i.e. versio that offers the reading according to the
matter, though not literally / Isaiah 50:11
-explanatory note / Ps 145:13

My source for all the above : the very useful *Understanding BHS: a manual
for the users of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia* by Reinhard Wonnerber,
Rome: Biblical Institute Press, 1984.

Regards
Camille Bessette
Carmel de Lisieux / France