b-hebrew - BHS apparatus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Robert Bruce Compton" <rcompton AT dbts.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: BHS apparatus
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:14:13

I have a question regarding the explanation of the apparatus in BHS. On
page L in the editio minor, the editors explain the use of the parenthesis
by the Latin phrase "secundum rem." I have tried looking this up in Latin
dictionarys and the sense appears to be either "according to the reading"
or "secondary reading." In the UBS text for the Greek NT, a parenthesis
signifies that a particular version supports a reading "generally," that
is, "with minor differences." Can the Latin in BHS be made to say this or
does the parenthesis in BHS signify something different?

Bruce Compton
Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary