b-hebrew - Re: OT Trinity ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Doug Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: dano AT ott.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: OT Trinity ?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 10:05:31 EST

Dear Dan,

Thanks for your work re: Gen 1:26 based on Jewish sources. I'll keep
your references handy for my own consideration.

You wrote:

"But I have noticed an "attempt" to explain the differences between
El and Yah, the plurality in Genesis 1:26, etc."

Though I found your posting helpful, I'd like to clarify something.
Based on your above comment it might be thought, either by you or by
someone reading the above quote, that the quest to differentiate between
El and Yah developed in the same thread as the issue of "plurality" in
Genesis 1:26. Though I doubt I'm the only one to start a thread on
Genesis 1:26, I was the one who recently posed a question on Genesis
1:26 based on a translation question of a colleague of mind in
Mozambique. My question did occur at about the same time that a number
of other postings regarding El and Yhwh and their differentiation in
Israel's history were made.

I'd like you to know that my query re:Gen 1:26 had nothing to do with the
other subject in question, a connection which could be implied from your
above quote. I addressed the issue for translation purposes only and see
only names for the One God in the OT, not different gods.

Again, thanks for your posting.

Warmly,
Doug

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]