b-hebrew - Vince and "freedom to read" week

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Vince and "freedom to read" week
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 05:36:59 EST

This article come to me on the same day as Vince's notice about "freedom
to read":

A Subversive Gospel

Bibles are being burned in Cuba, according to the
evangelical Christian mission group Open Doors. Jeff Taylor
of Compass Direct News Service writes that an eyewitness
account broadcast from Miami-based Radio Mambi reports that
thousands of Bibles were thrown from a truck into a dump and
set on fire by Cuban authorities, who called them
"subversive."

Meanwhile, Costa Rican Catholic Archbishop Roman Arrieta was
acquitted of charges brought against him by "gay" activists
during an unprecedented court hearing February 4. The Pink
Triangle Foundation accused Arrieta of four counts of human
rights and civil rights violations based on his criticism of
a "gay and lesbian" festival scheduled to be held in Quepos
last August.

"I fervently desire that legal means be found to stop this
festival, and that our people, both men and women, express
in a dignified and civilized fashion their complete
rejection of it," said the archbishop during a homily on
August 2, 1998. Pink Triangle President Francisco Madrigal
alleged that the archbishop had encouraged "homophobic
attitudes" with his homily. The Rev. Minor de Jesus Calvo
faces a similar hearing on February 25 for criticisms made
in a radio broadcast.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]