b-hebrew - Re: Image of Adam

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Mark & Mary Markham <markhamm AT topsurf.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Image of Adam
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:35:16 +1100

Hi Mark (or Mary?).

> Considering the object is not the same in the statements allows for a dif
> theologically. Adam was mared by the fall. The sin nature was passed to
> Seth. When you attempt to define "image" I believe it sheds light on the
> passage. Adam was now mortal (yet designed and destined for eternity)-- so
> were his offspring.

The problem is, though, that in Ch 5, there is no mention of the fall or
expulsion
from Eden. It isn't even on the agenda. In fact, it expressly states that Man
is in
the image of God and Seth was in the image of Adam. As Lewis pointed out,
there does
seem to be a flow of thought which in parallel, not in contrast, to the idea
of
passing on an image. Moreover, I agree with Andrew's remarks that the point
being made
has nothing to do with sin or mortality. Rather, it is a statement about
offspring.
That is, direct offspring are the image of their parent(s). It is careful to
note that
the word "image" is derived from a root meaning to "carve out", so the idea
is a
little carving, or statuette. In this regard, the plants and animals are not
the image
of God because they are not little versions of God - they are made according
to their
own kind. Man, however, is distinguished as being a little version of God -
or to put
it another way, Man is the offspring of God. This certainly cannot be claimed
of
anything else in the Creation narratives.

So, Seth, being the son of Adam, is the in the image of Adam. Similarly, Adam
(or
"mankind" generally) is the son of God, and so is in the image of God. (Cf
similar
ideas in Luke 3:38; Acts 17:28 - perhaps John 1:18).

Best regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm