b-hebrew - (theism) Historiography and Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: (theism) Historiography and Peter
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 05:37:25 EST

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:34:24 +0200 "Jonathan D. Safren" writes:

>I don't side with Ian (or the Copenhagen School) in the late dating of
>the Tanakh, but I do hold a somewhat similar opinion as to the
>relatively late origin - or at least flowetring - of monotheism.
> there is plenty of evidence from other books of the
>Bible to demonstrate that monotheism was not the normative belief of
>the majority of Israelites until at least the Deuteronomistic Reform,
when
>it began to catch on.

When we talk about this topic, I think that it's important we distinguish
between two different questions:

[a] when (if ever) did monotheism become the majority or mainstream view
among Israelites?

[b] was monotheism the view of the authors of the Tanakh and a tiny,
embattled minority group within Israel which had remained loyal to YHVH
even when the mainstream culture continued to be poly-, heno-, or
otherwise non-mono-theistic?

These two questions are quite independent, and need to be separated from
each other.

A.C. Smith

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]