b-hebrew - Bibliography request

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Bibliography request
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:24:43 -0800

I would appreciate any help list members can give me in finding
scholarly works on the _theology_ of he historical works of the
Scripture of Israel (let me say for the record that I think Old
Testament and Hebrew Bible are both inadequate terms so I sue one that I
think more fully describes these texts for their initial audience as
well as for the first, Jewish, Christians). That is, I'm looking for
something that explores why, for example, the author of Genesis chose to
talk about Abraham and Sarah and why the author chose to narrate these
specific things about Abraham and Sarah. How did the experience of
Abraham and Sarah speak to the theological tenants of the author. In
other words, what was he/she trying to say by these stories? I'm
looking for the same thing throughout the Pentateuch and the Former
Prophets. I'm decently read in "old Testament theology", like Eichrodt,
but not in this more book-specific sort of question. I need it for an
additional requirement I just got added to my dissertation. Thanks.

Ken Litwak

  • Bibliography request, Ken Litwak, 02/16/1999