b-hebrew - Re[2]: Language prejudice (was: Re[8]: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: HarryJ_Harm AT kastanet.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Language prejudice (was: Re[8]: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:01:36 -0500 (EST)

Dear Dave (Washburn),

Greetings from Mississippi.

In this discussion of what is well formed or what is not I lean toward
Peter Kirk's view. The decision of whose language is well formed and
whose is not can be a value laden judgment. My brand of linguistics
tends to be more descriptive than prescriptive. However, it would be
valid to report that John Doe's speech is different than the speech of
the majority of the members of community YYY. It would also be valid to
report that the members of community YYY tend to view John Doe's speech
as non-normative, i.e., not well formed. However, it would be possible
to write a grammar of John Doe's idiolect or if John Doe was a member of
a minority speech community in community YYY we could write a grammar of
John Doe's dialect.

Even though I I hold this view I still find myself to be frustrated as I
study the Choctaw language. I know two sisters who are only separated
by a few years who grew up in the same house who have some substantial
differences in their speech. Each thinks that her own way of speaking
is correct and that the other's speech is not well formed. Since
literature is not well established there is no prestige or book Choctaw.
It makes my linguistic life interesting.

Sincerely,

Harry J. Harm :{)