b-hebrew - Poetry a la Niccacci

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew C Smith <a.c.smith AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Poetry a la Niccacci
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 20:21:31 EST

Niccacci is saying, if I understand you correctly, that the rules are
clearer and more often followed in prose than in poetry. Does he give any
examples?

As a general observation, about any language, we can say that some rules
are followed by prose but not by poetry, and some rules are followed by
poetry but not by prose. It would seem to cut both ways.

"... if Bach is the sound of God thinking, then perhaps Gershwin is, at
least, the sound of St. Anthony of Padua whistling as he works ..."
- Michael Bywater

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]