b-hebrew - Re: Poetry a la Niccacci

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Poetry a la Niccacci
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 16:42:57 -0500

Dear Dave,
You and Niccacci are after two different objectives, I believe. Niccacci
has sought out a pragmatic or functional system for BH prose whereas I
think you are seeking out the semantics of the verb forms. I think verbal
semantics is more or less not germane to Niccacci's model. He has not been
able to detect the functions of the verb forms in poetic discourse. I do
not believe he will be able to ascertain a functional system in poetry
without first accounting for the meanings of the forms. D. Michel, by
comparison, goes to BH poetry in order to determine the meanings of the
forms.

That help?
Shalom,
Bryan