b-hebrew - Re: Psa 13.5 and TAMs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: Matthew Anstey <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Psa 13.5 and TAMs
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 13:31:43 +1100

Matthew Anstey wrote:

> For those TAMmers, formalists, functionalists, and BH-verb-lovers, can you
> please enlighten me on Psa 13.5 yekoltiyw? The sentence seems to be, "Answer
> me YHWH ... lest my enemy says 'I have overcome him.'"
>
> To me it seems that qatal would be better here, but that is only intuition
> as I get lost in the rules about embedded sentences like this, particularly
> in poetry. Assuming the embedded sentence could be worded this way all by
> itself, since it is direct speech, wouldn't one expect it to me, "Let me
> overcome him," or "I will overcome him."?

Matthew, don't be confused by the initial yodh here - it is not a
preformative of a
yiqtol (or imperfect) verb, or a jussive verb as you suggest. It is actually
the first
root letter of root yodh-kaph-lamed, and it actually is a qatal (or perfect)
verb in
the Qal stem. The afformatives of the qatal verb are there too, the -ti-
ending,
followed by the object suffix -iyv. Hence, the meaning has a past tense
force. If the
verb was a yiqtol (or imperfect), then we would expect the 1st person singular
preformative, an aleph.

Best regards,
GEORGE ATHAS
Dept of Semitic Studies,
University of Sydney
- Email: gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au
Visit the Tel Dan Inscription Website at
http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/teldan.htm

  • Psa 13.5 and TAMs, Matthew Anstey, 02/08/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Psa 13.5 and TAMs, George Athas, 02/08/1999