b-hebrew - Re: Different verb forms - same meaning?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Different verb forms - same meaning?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 07:39:21 -0700

> I picked up this thread mid-way but think your analogy a bit flat.
> Discourse does not 'build' a language as an engineer sets out to build a
> skyscraper. The thing is there. Our job is to figure out how it is
> built and what motivates its various features--features that may at first
> glance seem odd, out of place, excessively bizarre. In looking over this
> 'skyscraper' (to try and work with the analogy), I'll examine the top AND
> the bottom...and the middle, exterior and interior. By looking at the
> top I'll understand why the bottom was built the way it was. By
> examining the bottom I will perhaps understand more of why the top turned
> out like it did.

Of course any analogy ends up being inadequate; however, the
point is that when we look at a language with a view to
understanding it, there needs to be a definite order and sequence
to the investigation. The question here is, should we be starting at
the big and working down to the small, or starting at the foundation
and working our way toward the bigger picture?

> I will not, however, build anything since there's only a magnificent
> building before me.

But when we're talking about a language, there's no better way to
understand how it's built than to try to build in it ourselves, or at
least comprehend how the minds of the native speakers did the
building.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur