b-hebrew - Re[2]: Sex in paradise? (was: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Sex in paradise? (was: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1)
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:48:15 -0500 (EST)

Do you really mean, John, that if the verb form says one thing and the
context points in another direction, you ignore the verb form and
follow the context? Surely not! Now of course if the verb form is
ambiguous, maybe - but is it? And then the context is hardly
clear-cut, unless we presuppose (with early Christians and some today)
that sex is evil.

Obviously, if Cain was born, or even conceived, in Eden, he was
affected by the Fall as were his parents. But this is a theological
issue which should not be allowed to determine our reading of the
text.

Peter Kirk