b-hebrew - Sex in paradise? (was: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Sex in paradise? (was: Qatal, 1 Kings 11:1)
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 19:08:26 -0500 (EST)

Interesting, I had never looked at the X + qatal in Gen 4:1 before.
Two possibilities: this is sequential and a genuine exception to the
regular pattern; or at least the first clause here is a flashback, an
incident which took place before the preceding expulsion from Eden.

Why does Randall take this as sequential? Why do (most at least)
translations? Does it have something to do with a doctrinal
presupposition that sex is evil and could not have been practised in
paradise? I would have thought that Genesis 2:22-25 rather suggests
that (in the view of the author) sex was appropriate in heaven.

But there is also a question of how far the flashback continues. If
the first clause of 4:1 is a flashback, do we have any reliable means
of determining the end of the flashback. Were Cain and Abel born in
Eden? (Eve's words at Cain's birth fit better in Eden, perhaps; and
3:20 makes more sense if Eve already "had become" (HFY:TFH) a mother).
Did they take up their different callings there? Presumably Cain did
not murder Abel until after the expulsion! How, from the text, can we
tell what the author meant?

Peter Kirk