b-hebrew - Re: Black and White

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Black and White
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 99 19:20:57

On Mon 1 Feb 99 , klbarney AT yahoo.com wrote:
> "A question for the Hebrew literate. We have the expression in English
> that things are "black and white" using the opposition between the
> colors as indicative of the separation of two other concepts. Is there
> any idiom used in Biblical Hebrew that conveys that same meaning?"

Kevin:

I would suggest the Urim and Thummim: Ha'uWRiYM W:HaTTuMMiYM (Lights and
Perfections?). It seems to have been two plates or tablets, black on one
side and white on the other. When the High Priest wished to consult the
U&T, he would pray for a perfect lot (1 Samuel 14:41), then draw out the
Urim and Thummim. See Exodus 28:30, Leviticus 8:8, Deuteronomy 33:8, Ezra
2:63, Nehemiah 7:65.

Two Lights (whites) was a Yes; two Darks was a No. One of each was
indeterminate; an imperfect lot (1 Samuel 28:6).

Shalom,
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF