b-hebrew - Re: Why Not?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ken Litwak <kdlitwak AT concentric.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Why Not?
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:13:56 +0200

I haven't been following this thread very closely (not because of lack of interest but because of lack of time - I get guilt feelings just writing this letter!, but didn't Lloyd or anyone else cite Gen. 14: 18-19. where Melchizedek, Canaanite king of Shalem, blesses Abraham in the name of "El Elyon, Creator of Heaven and Earth" (I seem to remember mention of a Hittite 'el kunirsa), and Abraham swears (v. 22 by "YHWH El Elyon, Creator of Heaven and Earth" (YHWH missing in ancient translations). What light does that cast on the subject?
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College