b-hebrew - Re[4]: An Additional Thought on Deut 32:7-9

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: mc2499 AT mclink.it, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: An Additional Thought on Deut 32:7-9
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 20:14:46 -0500 (EST)

Well, Ian, I'm sorry if I have misunderstood your presuppositions, or
perhaps called them your presuppositions when they are in fact your
conclusions. Or perhaps I am confusing your views with those which Jim
West has just posted. So are you saying that at least Deuteronomy is
much older than the Maccabean period? A small step in the right
direction!

You are right in saying I don't accept the arguments in your posting,
but I don't want to get into another long discussion about them now.
But I just thought I would point something out:

"(I didn't go into the fact that Palestine was well within Egyptian
hegemony until the Philistine invasion cut off their connections.)"

So the area was called Palestine before the time of the Philistine
invasion?! Perhaps that's where the author of Genesis got the name
"Philistine" from!? ;-)

Peter