b-hebrew - WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: WP
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:41:28 -0500

Dear Dave,
Rolf Furuli says wayyiqtol is imperfective (tenseless);
Vince DeCaen says it is modal/sequential;
Randall Buth says it is perfective (past tense);
Bryan Rocine says it is imperfective/sequential;
Many traditional scholars say it is equivalent to qatal.
Niccacci focuses on discourse function rather than aspect and tense.
You are saying that it is perfective, but not necessarily sequential.
(If I have misrepresented anyone, please correct me.)

Dave, my questions for you (and anyone else) are:
1) What is the origin and function of the Wa+Dagesh morpheme?
2) Is it of any significance that wayyiqtols are normally shortened forms? If
so, what
is the significance?

I believe that Vince has said that the Wa prefix signals sequence, and the
shortened
form proves modality. Rolf has said that the Wa was invented by the
Masoretes. I'm
not sure what other people think.

I am leaning in the following direction:
1) QaTaL is perfective, thus it defaults to past tense (but pragmatics does
not allow
it to be used for narrative).
2) YiQToL is imperfective, and thus can be used for past repeated actions,
future
actions, and modal / volitional actions.
3) The Participle is adjectival, describing an ongoing characteristic of the
subject.
4) Wa+Dagesh signals narrative (sequence being a natural part of narrative).
5) It was the convention of old BH to present narrative as modal, thus the
shortened
form.
6) Neither, tense, aspect, or discourse function, etc. is sufficient in
isolation to
explain / describe the Hebrew verb system. All linguistic categories must
considered
when building a model of the language.
7) I have few problems relating my model to any and all Hebrew texts
(although that
does not prove that I am correct. It could just prove that I am good at
twisting the
facts). There is really only one aspect of the BH system that I am
struggling with --
the WeQaTaL. Most traditional scholars called it "conversive," in order to
match the
wayyiqtol as "conversive." But if wayyiqtol is *not* conversive, then why
should we
assume that weqatal is conversive. Niccacci calls the weqatal
"continuation." And he
seems to be accurately describing the data. If a weqatal follows a yiqtol
(habitual),
then it is translated as habitual. If a weqatal follows an imperative, then
it is
translated as an imperative. If a weqatal follows a yiqtol (future) then it is
translated future. If a weqatal follows a wayyiqtol, then it is translated
past
tense. The weqatal seems to have no life of its own. Although the weqatal
has been
sufficiently described, it has not been *explained.*

I would very much like to have feedback on this (from anyone).
--

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee

  • WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Message not available
      • Re: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/22/1999