b-hebrew - Re: Enuma Elish, Knapp, Babel, Babylon

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Enuma Elish, Knapp, Babel, Babylon
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 08:13:15 -0700

Stephen,
Thanks for taking the time to explain this for me. While I tend to
disagree about the post-exilic dating, the scenario you present
makes good sense and is definitely worth considering. A question:
if the story were pre-exilic, say, around the time of Hezekiah when
Babylon was beginning to rise to power and prophets like Isaiah
were beginning to warn about them, would it be possible to see this
story as a prophetic image predicting the downfall of Babylon, and
thus subtly warning the powers that were against getting involved
with her? Just a thought, but I'd be interested in your view.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur