b-hebrew - Re[2]: Nomadic Scribes?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: mc2499 AT mclink.it, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Nomadic Scribes?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:19:37 -0500 (EST)

Ian wrote:

"Jericho was destroyed in the first half of the sixteenth century BCE,
totally abandoned for over a century, then there was a small
settlement on the site from 1400-1325 then nothing until the eleventh
century."

Maybe my memory is faulty, but I thought I remember a claim that
Jericho was uninhabited from the 16th to the 11th century. Have we
seen a shift of position?

Suppose for the moment that we accept the above. Why was the
settlement abandoned in 1325? (How accurate is that date anyway?)
Could that have been because of the Israelite conquest? Also, how
small was the settlement? Were the inhabitants living within the
remaining (but perhaps rickety!) walls of the previous settlement, or
did they build their own walls? The real conservatives might not like
the following theory any more than I expect Ian will, but how about it
anyway: perhaps what the Israelites really conquered was an abandoned
city in whose ruins a few semi-nomads were living, whose walls were so
shaky that a trumpet blast was enough to bring them down!

Peter Kirk