b-hebrew - NUX in Joshua 21:44

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: list b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: NUX in Joshua 21:44
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:16:08 +0800

The first word of Joshua 21:44 (Jonathan, that's the same
reference in LXX [ ;^> ]) is WaYYfNaX. It appears to be a Qal
wayyiqtol from NUX. Yet it appears to be translated as a hiphil.

Holladay states that there are two hiphil forms for this root,
one with dagesh in the NUN and one without. Not only this, but
the two forms have two different sets of meanings.

I confess that I'm a bit confused. Where does this second (or,
as Holladay lists it, first) form come from, and what drives it
to have a different meaning? Are there other words that have
similar constructions that I've failed to recognize in the past?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Paul

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines

zellmer AT faith.edu.ph

  • NUX in Joshua 21:44, Paul Zellmer, 01/14/1999