b-hebrew - Re: over and under-specification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Bryan Rocine <596547 AT ican.net>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: over and under-specification
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 07:35:54 +0200

Dear Bryan,

I have another "take" on the "over-specification" of Elohim in Exod 2:23-25
(not that
I disagree with the application you made in the wider context). The series of
"Elohim's" as subject begins with the note that the cry of the Israelites
"rose up" to
God; Elohim is used here of God "in heaven" which sets up a contrast with the
next
chapter, where "Yhwh said, I have seen . . . and given heed . . . so I have
come down"
(3:7-8). Thus the covenant name of God is particularly applicable where God
intervenes in history (here on behalf of his people, more generally in the
Tower of
Babel incident, and in Gen 18:21 to destroy the cities of the plain and save
Lot).
Lest we think the two names represent two different gods, they are also used
interchangably in Exod 3:1-7 (source critics, of course, have a different
explanation).

Another factor - many of the Israelites may have been crying out to other
gods, not
the God of their fathers (thus the more general Elohim is used, perhaps
repeatedly so
we see there is significance in it), yet God heard them anyway for the sake
of the
fathers.

For under-specification, I'd be interested in your view of who is the subject
of the
verb "they pulled him up" in Gen 37:28. To read Genesis 37-50 as a coherent
whole,
"his brothers" must be the subject (Gen 45:4 seems to indicate that Judah's
intention
to sell Joseph ws carried out), while the Midianites and Ishmaelites must be
the same
or somehow overlapping (as in Judges 6-8).

Why the "under-specification" here, which, as you say, "risks a (temporary)
mis-reading"? A related question - why mix the Ishmaelites and Midianites
(and
Medanites; 37:36)?

An example of over-specification is the redundancy of Gen 21:3, where it says
three
times that Abraham is Isaac's father (a fact that has already been stated in
v. 2 and
is stated again in v. 4). The redundancy is especially apparent when
comparing 21:2-5
to 16:15-16:
16:15 watteled Hagar le'Abram ben. wayyiqra' 'Abram shem-beno 'asher yaledah
Hagar,
Yishmael. (v. 16) we'Abraham ben shemonim shanah weshesh shanim beledeth
Hagar 'eth
Yishmael le'Abram.

21:2-5 watteled Sarah le'Abraham ben. . . . (v. 3) wayyiqra' 'Abraham
eth-shem-beno
[hannolad lo], 'asher yaledah [lo] Sarah, Yitsxaq. . . . (v. 5) we'Abraham
ben me'ath
shanah behiwwaled lo 'eth Yitsxaq [beno]

The brackets mark "extra" indications that Isaac is Abraham's son, so that
Gen 21:2-5
is "marked" as you say. This redundancy was noticed by a number of Rabbis,
who gave
various explanations for it. I think Rashi was on the right track, as he
deduced that
someone must have been asserting that someone else was Isaac's father. Who
else could
be the father? Note the previous context, in which Sarah was in Abimelech's
harem
(thus 20:4 is especially significant). Who was making the assertion? Note
the
following context, in which the son of Hagar mocks Isaac, in such a serious
manner as
to be deprived of his inheritance. I.e., Ishmael was saying that Isaac was
the son of
Abimelech. Such a claim would make Ishmael still the heir, and thus as
punishment he
(not Isaac) is exiled.

A related question - should translators leave under- and over-specification
in their
translations as much as possible? Note how the NIV gets rid of all the
over-specification in Gen 21:3:
NASB Abraham called the name of his son who was born to him, whom Sarah bore
to him,
Isaac.

NIV Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sarah bore to him.

Regards,

John Ronning