b-hebrew - Re: Nomadic Scribes?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: SheMichael AT aol.com
  • To: mc2499 AT mclink.it, b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Nomadic Scribes?
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:55:48 EST

I've heard of no evidence of scribes in nomadic societies in the ANE.

We also have little way of knowing how much of a person's time
scribal work
consumed, as the scribes wrote very little about themselves. Autobiography
was hardly invited.
Nearly everyone had access to enough heat to bake a tablet, but why
would
they need it? What they needed was clay wet enough to write in when
necessary, or, more usually, access to bees, for the wax on which they usually
wrote. As apiculture was the first stage of husbandry in almost all societies
of which we are aware, access to wax was not to be monopolized.

Sheila Shiki y Michaels

In a message dated 1/7/99 1:03:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, mc2499 AT mclink.it