b-hebrew - Re: Air

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: HarryJ_Harm AT kastanet.org
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Air
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear Irene,

Greetings from Missisippi.

I guess it depends on which definition of 'air' you are looking for. A
quick check of a concordance indicated that 'ruach' can mean 'air',
e.g., Job 41.8* (Eng. v. 16, Gr. v. 7) which indicates that no 'air/
breath can go between leviathan's shields/scales(?)'. It also indicated
that 'shmym' can also be translated as 'air' in English but this of
course is the 'air' which refers to the sky, often used in the phrase
'birds of the air/sky'.

I didn't find any others.

*(note that BHS proposes - revah (space) instead of ruah.

Sincerely,

Harry :{)

At one time I had a dictionary that went from BIBLICAL Hebrew to
English. If I recall correctly, it was paperback. I can't find it.
Does anyone know if such an animal is still around and who publishes
it. It certainly would help, now, when I'm trying find out if there is
a word in biblical Hebrew for "air." The only word I can think of is
"ruach." Are there any others?

Thanks,

irene

  • Air, Irene Riegner, 01/05/1999